Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Chocolate-Chocolate (Almond) Cupcakes

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was selected by I Heart Food4Thought. The original recipe was for a grown-up bittersweet chocolate cupcake with a bittersweet chocolate glaze on top. I had some slivered almonds in the cupboard, so I added half a cup of those to the cupcake batter, and added 1/8 teaspoon of almond extract for a little extra flavor. The end product was a moist cupcake with great flavor.

I brought these in to work, and about half of them disappeared the first day. Keeping in mind we only had 8 or so people there that day, I'll take that as a good thing. I can never trust my own taste-buds with my baking.

Moowie is also bringing in some cupcakes today so we can have a little taste test between the two. I don't know if she's tried one of mine yet, so perhaps me sneaking in the almond extract and almond slivers can give me a little boost. That, and the Valrhona chocolate...I've taken to stocking extra Valrhona in the cupboard for baking.

Recipe: Baking: From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan, pp. 215-217

6 comments:

CB said...

Glad you and your CWs enjoyed the cupcakes. Thanks for baking with me this week!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Melissa said...

chocolate and almond...can't beat that combo, yum.

kimberly salem said...

they look delicious! great job. i hear you on the valhrona... i totally just bought 1kg of it from chocosphere.

Engineer Baker said...

Sounds like the CWs liked these. I wouldn't think to put almonds and almond extract in, so that's pretty neat. Nice idea.

Flourchild said...

Hey great cc. Im glad your co workers liked them..it's nice of you to share. I enjoyed these cc and put spider webs on mine!

Maria said...

I am glad you added almond, I love it! Can't wait to try these cupcakes!