Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake

What's better than brownies? Brownies with homemade caramel and nuts on top, of course. This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was picked by Wee Treats by Tammy.

This was my first time making homemade caramel, and it turned out perfect. The cake came out a bit dry, even though I took it out of the oven 10 minutes early. The cake itself wasn't too exciting for me, it was a plain ol' cake, but that's not the purpose of this recipe now is it? The caramel topping was perfect on top.

I poured all of the caramel/almond (did I not mention I used almonds instead of peanuts? I used almonds instead of peanuts.) on top of the cake (which was domed...never sunk back in) and when I removed the spring-form pan it ended up spilling everywhere.

As you can see, it's spilling everywhere. I just spooned whatever was left and served like that. The cake has actually been sitting at work for about a week, one of the few that hasn't disappeared the same day. I think it's the messiness of it all that's making people stray away.

Recipe: Baking: From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan, pp. 264 - 265

9 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Well, I think it looks wonderful, even if your silly CWs are shying away from it. Love the oozing caramel.

Anonymous said...

It is quite difficult to eat, but yours looks delicious!

Jules Someone said...

Mmmmm. Lava flows of caramel. What could be bad?

Sharon said...

I could see not wanting to dive into the messy cake at work, but if that baby were in my house I'd dig in. I'm loving the caramel.

Peggy said...

I bet the almonds were really good in it! Love the caramel. So gooey and such a nice fall treat.

Jaime said...

it looks great; sorry it spilled over... maybe the caramel could have cooked longer? not sure what happened to cause that. congrats on your first time making caramel though :)

Marthe said...

Your cake looks delicious!! My CWs loved it! I made miniature ones.

Bungalow Barbara said...

That looks lovely! Who cares about messy when you can have something yummy!

Shari said...

Looks delicious and ooey gooey good!