Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Split Level Pudding

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was selected by...well, look at that, it's selected by me! Finally put in enough time to pick out a recipe. I picked out the split-level pudding, because something about it reminded me of my childhood, going for those hand-held cups of pudding with multiple layers of goodness.

Unfortunately, when it came time to take the pictures and get everything ready for this epic post, I ended up being rushed. Argh. I tried to get creative, and man did that work out horribly. Also, my photoshop is still dead. If I had that right now, I could at least *try* to make my pictures look prettier. Oh well, maybe next time.

It's a simple vanilla pudding on top, with chocolate ganache on the bottom. I would actually warm up this dessert before serving it - I tried it cold at first, and didn't really like it. My girlfriend suggested I heat it up. I did, and it was about 16 times better. Not sure why, but making it warm just made it awesome. Thanks for everyone who baked with me this week!

Recipe: Baking: From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan, pp. 384-385

For the chocolate layer:
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/3 cup heavy cream

For the vanilla layer:
2 1/4 cups whole milk
6 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces, at room temperature
2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Chocolate shavings for decoration (optional)

Have 6 ramekins or cups for the pudding, each holding 1/2-3/4 cup, ready.

To make the chocolate ganache, put the chocolate into a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Bring the cream to a boil, then pour over the chocolate and let sit for 30 seconds before stirring gently until blended. Divide among the cups and set aside.

To make the vanilla pudding, bring 2 cups of milk and 3 tablespoons sugar to a boil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. In the meantime, place into a food processor the cornstarch and salt. Whir until blended, then turn out onto wax paper. Place the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and egg yolks into the processor, then process for a minute. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of milk and pulse just until mixed, then add the cornstarch mix and pulse until mixed. While the machine is blending, slowly add the hot milk mixture. After all the hot milk has been added, pour back into the saucepan and whisk over medium heat until thickened (about 2 minutes). If it begins to boil, lower the heat. Take off of the stovetop, and add the butter and vanilla. Whisk until fully incorporated (you can do this in the food processor, but I find it easier to whisk). Pour the pudding into the cups, and press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate puddings for at least 4 hours before serving.

49 comments:

Romaine said...

Warm? Hadn't thought of that. Probably would make the chocolate easier to eat. Nice pick.

Melissa said...

I loved it warm, too! I was licking the whisk clean after I finished, and I nearly took a pot of pudding and ate it right there as a result. Next time I will. ;)

And your pictures look GREAT! :) Check out my blog if you want to see some crap pictures of this pudding, heh.

Cakelaw said...

I am curious what it's like warm now. I did like it cold - thanks for hosting us this week.

Anonymous said...

Delicious choice! Love your presentation! I'm wondering about eating it warm now too!

Isabelle Lambert said...

merci Garret pour le choix de cette recette, c'était excellent !J'aime beaucoup ta présentation :)

dorie said...

It is amazing that it was finally your turn, isn't it? Glad you got your turn and so glad you chose the pudding. Like you, pudding makes me think of childhood ... not that my mom ever made pudding herself... But there's something about the texture that always brings me back.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

thanks for the pick-- we enjoyed this! warm...i like that idea. bet it was good!

LyB said...

Great pick Garett! I loved it chilled, the chocolate reminded me of a truffle, mmmmm... :)

Pamela said...

I was licking my lips when I saw that this recipe had been chosen. Unfortunately, I didn't get to bake along with you this week. When I make it though I'll be sure to try it warm!

Stephanie said...

Great choice! I bet it tasted so much better warm

Anonymous said...

Thanks for selecting this pudding. Great idea to use the glass cups so both layers were visible!

natalia said...

Ciao ! Well your glasses look very nice as the puddings !!Thanks for choosing this recipe !

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

I love those photos! Cute glasses and nice pick!

Bella Baker said...

Thanks for an awesome pick this week!!! I LOOOVED this! Yours looks great!!!

Amanda said...

Oh yeah warm reminded me of eating vanilla custard in my grandfather's house in England when I was very little. :) Mmmmm Thanks for choosing this, it was delish!

Anonymous said...

Oh it was SO yum-e...Good choice, no recipe on your blog though?

Manderley said...

I was really looking forward to the recipe!!!

Anne said...

I liked it warm and cold- it was a hit at our house, thanks!

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

This blew me away! The texture contrast between the ganache and pudding was spectacular. I actually liked it equally well warm and chilled. Thanks for turning me on to a whole new way to serve pudding!

Sylvie from England said...

Hi, I'm from England. What exactly is a vailla pudding? Is it a custard? I couldn't find the recipe and I'd really like to make this as it looks yummy. Sylvie.

Sylvie from England said...

Ooooops, meant vanilla!

vibi said...

Thank you Garrett for picking this oh! so versatile recipe for us, this week! I had a lot of fun making it and plenty of enjoyment eating it! LOL

Yours is really pretty in those super cool glassware!

Cynthia said...

I am so sorry I wasn't able to bake along with you this week. The pudding is one I have wanted to try for some time. thanks for sharing your pictures and ideas with the group!

Vivian said...

I love the idea of using the shot glasses. I set mine in a small bowl of hor water for a couple of minutes to soften the ganache a bit. Great job!

Joy said...

Cute glasses! I really liked this - thanks for the great pick!

Megan said...

Didn't think to warm it up - but it's a great suggestion.

Which means I'll just have to make it again to try it!

Hindy said...

That last photo looks like someone kissed the glass while wearing chocolate lipstick. That might have been me. Thanks for choosing this awesome recipe. I'll take pudding anytime!

Susan @ My Wholefood Family Essentials said...

Come to think of it, I liked it better warm too! Your layers look great even if you weren't happy with the pics. Thanks for hosting this week :)

Teanna said...

Thank you so much for the AWESOME AWESOME pick. Seriously one of my favorite desserts ever.

Susan said...

Your puddings look great. Mine thickened but then when I added the butter and vanilla it turned into a thin liquid. I froze it and it was good, but not what I hoped for.

Leslie said...

Great pick! We had ours warm (due to impatience rather than inspiration) and it was delicious that way.

Valerie Gamine said...

Thank you for hosting this week's recipe, I may not have tried it on my own! :)

Engineer Baker said...

I actually think I liked it warm better - my chocolate portion was solid if it wasn't warm! But it was very tasty - great pick!

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

thanks for selecting such a delightful recipe. i enjoyed it! ...loved that ganache layer!

Amanda said...

Hey there :) One of my readers would like to see the recipe and the host normally posts it. Will you be posting it?

Annette said...

Great choice! Pudding reminds me of my childhood as well. My grandmother always made me pudding when I stayed over. :) I liked it warm and cold; it was very good either way. The ganache on the bottom was awesome!

Garrett said...

Whoops - I guess I forgot to post the recipe! I'll do that as soon as I get home from work today, thanks for pointing it out, everyone.

Amanda said...

Cool thanks! Can you post a comment here after it's up? Then I'll send my reader over here again :)

Jaime said...

great pick! i enjoyed it. glad you saw that you are supposed to post the recipe - I had someone comment on my blog that they couldn't find it

love those glasses!

Susan said...

I remade this recipe with great success! Thanks for choosing it!

Windansea said...

Thanks for this choice - this was my first TWD experience and I really enjoyed it. Great idea, warming it up - we ate all of ours or else I'd try it! Lydia

Amanda said...

Sorry to keep bugging you about this, but will you be posting the recipe soon? A reader of mine keeps asking for it.

AmyRuth said...

Hi Garrett, hope you're still reading.... he he You know, when I made it the first time of course I tasted it warm and YES, WOW!!! It is so soothing when its warm. Oh well, so glad you loved it. I did too. I made it for a dinner that I took to a new mom, didn't tell her about the "surprise" chocolate ganache and she called me to tell me how much she loved it. he he Makes for a happy cook. Score Dorie! Thank you for choosing a recipe you connected with I loved it too. BTW LOVE those serving pieces. Couldn't tell if they were shot glasses or 8oz'ers. Either way they are perfect for this shoot and you did well They have the appearance of being frosty as if just out of the frig. Neat huh? Thanks again.
AmyRuth

Garrett said...

Long week...recipe has now been posted.

Anonymous said...

Hi Garrett!

You are totally right. Cold desserts always taste better if you leave them at room temperature for a bit before serving... especially those that contain chocolate :)

ps: Cute shot glasses!

Sweet as Coco said...

I wouldnt have thought of eating this warm. I did like it out of the pan--mine was too soupy so I havent posted it yet. The taste was amazing if I can get the cooking time right without curdling. :) Lovely photos!

Amber Marie said...

Ooh, now I want to make it again just to try it warm! Great pick!

Kayte said...

Your photos make it all look so great. I was out of town this week, but I am going to make this! Thanks for the pick...yours looks wonderful!

Unknown said...

Have you ever tried making your own vanilla? 2 Cups Vodka, 6 vanilla beans cut in half lengthwise. Sterilize a 1 quart jar and lid, place the vanilla beans in it and cover with vodka. Let it sit for a 6 weeks in a dark cupboard. Strain and bottle in dark bottles. (Save your old vanilla bottles and sterilize them!) There's a website where you can make 45 food things at home that you can usually buy. Green something...