Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Linzer Sables

This Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was selected by Living the Life. I didn't dust the top of these cookies with confectioner's sugar, simply for storage reasons (stacking them on top of each other, it would have formed quite a mess), but would if I made this recipe again simply to give the cookies a more decadent look. I didn't have the scalloped cutter that the traditional cookies would be formed from, but did use a second smaller circle to make a peekaboo cutout off-center. These cookies were made with raspberry jam in the batter, with additional jam sandwiched between layers.

If I make these cookies again (and I probably will), I'll blanch and dry the almonds before I grind them down. The overall color was darker than I was expecting, but that didn't effect the overall flavor. What's better than a cookie with a little bit of fruit in it so you get the feeling that you're not being completely unhealthy? The flavors of spices, nuts, and jam all meld together in these mild cookies, perfect as a light treat.

Recipe: Baking: From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan, pp. 134 - 136

No comments: