Friday, March 27, 2009

Caramelized Onion and Pear Galette

I just now realized that the date for this month's Daring Bakers challenge was moved forward a couple days (i.e., today), and I have yet to make the recipe. I also noted that, because the date was changed, we can post on the original date - so if you're here looking for the Daring Bakers recipe, please come again in two days. I already know what I'm going to make, I just need to get around to making it. So that aside, I decided this was as good a time as any to post up a recipe I've been hoarding for a while.

This galette is perfect for the season - pears are coming fresh into the market, and the caramelized onions mix with Gorgonzola cheese and walnuts to provide a dish that, for lack of a better term, is somewhat refreshing. Think of it as an early spring treat.

I served this as an appetizer, and it's fairly rich in its flavors so I can't think off the top of my head any dishes to which it could serve well as a side dish, but it could be a vegetarian main course. That's how I ate the leftovers, at least.

Recipe:

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 large onions, sliced thinly
1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
6 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 recipe puff pastry dough
1 ripe pear, cored and sliced thinly
4 oz. Gorgonzola or other blue cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375ºF. In a large heavy skillet (I prefer cast iron) over medium-low heat, melt butter and add onions. Season with salt and pepper, add thyme, sugar, and vinegar. Stir and sweat until the onions have lost most of their liquid and are soft, about 30 minutes. Turn off the stove-top and add cream cheese, then stir to incorporate. Roll the puff pastry dough into a circle (or your galette could be a different shape, if you wish) and place onto baking sheet lined with parchment. Alternatively, you could use a buttered pie pan. Place the onion mixture into the center. Spread out evenly, leaving about three inches from all the edges. Top with the pear slices, creating a circular pattern. On top of this, place the Gorgonzola cheese crumbles and walnuts. Fold the edges towards the center of the galette, and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Can be served warm or at room temperature. Serves 8.

This is a fairly easy recipe to put together, and is a definite treat. I'm thinking this would be a great dish to bring to a potluck, once spring rolls around. Or maybe a 4th of July appetizer. Something about this dish just fits that atmosphere for me. Anyways, this is definitely one that all of you should try.

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

I love this! It looks so elegant. I have friends who hate onions, but I've been able to get them to eat them only when they're caramelized. THis recipe may end up on an upcoming brunch menu. Thanks so much!

Beth said...

Wow, that looks delicious!!!

Kelly said...

This was SO GOOD. I added 2 tbsp. of thyme to the crust. Really helped bring out the flavor. The Gorgonzola I used was a little sharp, my try a blue instead next time.