Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chocolate Amaretti Torte

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was selected by Holly of Phe/MOM/enon. It's a flourless cake made with almonds and amaretti - small Italian almond cookies. It gave me an excuse to visit Little Italy in San Diego, something I haven't done since I moved down here. I found Amaretti Di Saronno cookies by Lazzaroni, the ones Dorie suggests as her favorite, along with a ton of other goodies in the little market.

Among the goodies, I found a 750g (26.5 oz.) container of Nutella. Why have I not been told that these are around until now? Whenever I see them in the supermarket, they're in tiny containers. Have I been deprived, or is this a common occurance? Do any of your standard supermarkets carry super-sized Nutella, or do you have to find specialty stores to get your jumbo-sized chocolatey hazelnut goodness on? Needless to say I bought one, and immedietly remembered that I have no self-control. The tub lasted a good two weeks...it fought to stay full, it really did, but it was no match for my sweet tooth's lust.

Back to the dessert at hand, it's earned its place as one of my favorites from this book. So simple to put together (except for finding the ingredients), and absolutely decadent. It tastes like it has some great amaretto in it, a trick of the tongue with all the flavors playing on each other. I also munched on the leftover amaretti di saronno cookies, and they were delicious. I know they're the type that probably can't be duplicated in a home kitchen (and certainly not my current one), so I'll just stick to buying them if I see them from now on.

Recipe: Baking: From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan, pp. 276-277

7 comments:

Teanna said...

That torte looks GORGEOUS! I could not be trusted with a super sized jar of Nutella in my kitchen. It would seriously NOT be pretty!

chocolatechic said...

A supersized jar of Nutella???

Nope we don't have them around here....just the wee itty bitty ones.

Kara said...

Oh yes, we have the giant sized Nutellas - I don't buy them because I know I'd eat the whole thing. With a spoon. Standing in the pantry door. So dangerous! :)

Heather said...

Beautiful torte!

TeaLady said...

Looks just right. Beautiful.

Unknown said...

I've never seen the super sized jar of Nutella in my local stores which is probably for the best! Your torte looks fabulous!

Elle said...

A super sized jar of Nutella must make for super sized hips. hehe. Good thing they don't have them around here!

Looks wonderful, Garrett!