Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tuscana Soup

I had a request from a friend several weeks ago that, the next time she come over for dinner, I'd make her some Tuscana Soup inspired from the Olive Garden. Having never had it myself, I didn't have too much to work from, but I was able to easily find out what goes into it by surfing a bit online.

After whipping it together, my friend was shocked - she said I'd have no need to go to the Olive Garden to try it, since I perfected it in one go. It's a mildly spicy dish, with lots of flavor in every slurpy bite. It probably took about an hour total to throw it all together, including another pizza we made to go with the soup (see last post).

Very simple overall, pretty damn cheap, and definitely going to be something I make again in the near future.

Recipe:
1/4 large white onion, diced
2 slices prosciutto, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
3 t. chicken bullion powder
1 quart, water
5 small red potatoes, cubed (1 cm)
1 c. mixed small greens (Trader Joe's package)
3 spicy Italian sausage links (about 1 1/2 c. total)
2/3 c. heavy cream

Heat sausage over medium heat until cooked all the way through. In the meantime, place onions and prosciutto with a bit of olive oil (about 1T) in a 4-quart or larger pot, cook over medium-high heat until onions are nearly translucent. Add garlic and heat for another minute before pouring in the water and adding the boullion powder. Add the potatoes, then simmer for 15 minutes. Chop the greens up into medium pieces (approximately 1 cm) and cut sausage links along a bias for presentation (or, if you prefer, you could ground them up so they're more homogenous in the soup). Throw the greens and sausage into the soup, along with the cream, and simmer for 5 minutes before serving.

Makes 5 bowl-fulls, but that was only enough for 2 of us because it was so delicious! We barely even bothered with the pizza, and all the attention was on the wonderful soup. It could have used more greens, and I'd probably add another cup-full in there next time, but aside from that I wouldn't change a thing about this.

4 comments:

Christine said...

I love this soup! One of my favorites and much better then Olive Garden!

By the way you have been tagged! Your it!

The rules:
Each player answers the questions about themselves. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read your blog. Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer.

So head on over to my site when you get a chance!

enza said...

garret I'm not so confident with english so I understood that this is a sorto of tuscany soup proposed in a restaurant.
If so I must retrieve about cream.
It's not an Italian tradition but I believe in your words.
It can be tasty even if not really italian.
I'm here to tell you that I've traslated my ricotta cheese cream filling in english...a bad one I know but it's in english. :D

Jules Someone said...

This looks really good. I'm a little leery about the amount of cream, but I don't suppose I'll be eating it every day. Nice job!

Elle said...

My sister in law loves this soup! She'd be in my debt if I made her big old pot of it. Could come in handy...